Now a days ESP8266 chip based various kind of module boards are available, here below discussed about it. Olimex, Adafruit, Sparkfun, WeMos, ESPert (ESPresso) all make various modules as well.
- 1 ESPressif ESP- WROOM Modules
- 2 Ai-Thinker’s ESP8266 Modules
- 2.0.1 ESP-01
- 2.0.2 ESP-02
- 2.0.3 ESP-03
- 2.0.4 ESP-04
- 2.0.5 ESP-05
- 2.0.6 ESP-06
- 2.0.7 ESP-07
- 2.0.8 ESP-07S
- 2.0.9 ESP-08
- 2.0.10 ESP-09
- 2.0.11 ESP-10
- 2.0.12 ESP-11
- 2.0.13 ESP-12
- 2.0.14 ESP-12E
- 2.0.15 ESP-12F
- 2.0.16 ESP-12S
- 2.0.17 ESP-13
- 2.0.18 ESP-14
- 2.0.19 ESP-16
- 2.0.20 Summary of All AI-Tinkers ESP8266 Module Boards
- 2.0.21 Difference Between ESP-01 Blue Board and ESP-01S Black Board
- 2.0.22 Difference Between ESP-07 and ESP-07S?
- 2.0.23 Difference Between ESP-12E and ESP12F ?
- 2.0.24 See more reference websites
- 3 Bolt IoT (Pune-2016 Iot Award)
- 4 Olimex ESP8266 Module
- 5 NodeMCU DEVKIT
- 6 Adafruit Huzzah ESP8266 Module
- 7 SparkFun ESP8266 Thing
- 8 KNEWRON Technologies smartWIF
- 9 WeMos (Working with Arduino and NodeMCU firmware)
- 10 ESPert ESPresso Lite
- 11 Sweetpea ESP-210 Module
- 12 In-Circuit ESP-ADC
- 13 Wireless-Tag
- 14 Next Topic
ESPressif ESP- WROOM Modules
ESPressif is a ESP8266 Chip Designed and Manufacture. Two Different Type of ESP WROOM Modules are ESP-WROOM-02 and ESP-WROOM-S2.
- ESP-WROOM-02 is a low-power 32-bit MCU Wi-Fi module, based on the ESP8266 chip.
- Conversion : 10-bit ADC,
- Network Communication Protocol : TCP/IP network stacks,
- Wired Communication Protocols :
- ESP-WROOM-S2 uses a 2 MB SPI flash connected to HSPI, working as the SDIO/SPI slave with the SPI speed of up to 8 Mbps.
- Fully Certified
- Wi-Fi Alliance, SRRC, FCC, CE, TELEC, IC & KCC Certified
- RoHS, Halogen Free, REACH & CFSI Compliant
- HTOL, ESD-HM, MSL, μHAST, HTSL
- Output Power: +22dBm peak power in FCC certificatio
- Small Form Factor : ESP8266 Module can be easily integrated into space-limited devices, due to its small size.
- Size : ESP-WROOM-02 – 18mm x 20mm.
- ESP-WROOM-02 PCB Design and Module Placement Guide
- Data Sheet : ESP-WROOM-02
Ai-Thinker’s ESP8266 Modules
The AI-Thinker modules are succinctly labeled ESP-01 through ESP-13. NodeMCU boards extend upon the AI-Thinker modules.
- PCB Antenna, through matching, distance do open 400 Meters, easy to use
- ESP-01 Does not Support PWM hardware, But You can use the software PWM in NodeMCU Platform.
- SMD package for the commit limit, the antenna can be used IPX End leading housing.
- SMD package, built-in ceramic antenna technology, all available IO Leads.
- SMD package, customers can custom antenna types, flexible design, all available IO Leads.
- SMD package, and only leads to serial RST Feet, small size, external antenna.
- Bottom mount technology, all IO Mouth leads, with metal shielding shell, can be had FCC CE Certification is recommended.
- Half-hole chip technology, all IO Leads, with metal shielding shell, can be had FCCCE Certification, external IPX Antenna, built-in ceramic antenna can also be used.
- Same ESP-07 with 4MB Flash
- Size 16mm*17mm*3mm
- Pads Spacing: 2mm
- with ESP-07 Except that the antenna customers can define their own form.
- Ultra-small size package, only 10 * 10 Mm, four-layer board technology ! 1M byte.
- Chip interfaces, ceramic antenna, small volume.
- Semi-hole patch process , all IO Leads, with metal shielding shell, passed FCCCE Certification, built PCB On board antenna, 4M byte Flash.
- On the basis of the ESP-12 leads to 6 feet and more, greatly enhanced anti-jamming capability, the main recommendation of this section!
- ESP-12S Datasheet
- Size : 24mm*16mm*3mm, Weight : 0.01kg.
- 16pins count with based On ESP8266 WiFi IC
- Fully compatible with forecast version ESP-12E or ESP12F
- FCC and CE & RHOS all passed
- Further improved antennas design, better signal performance
- Note : ESP-12S does not have a SPI pins at the bottom of the board
- The 4-layer design, semi-hole chip technology, all IO leads, with metal shielding shell, the antenna redesigned, RF performance!
img class=”alignnone wp-image-335″ src=”https://www.aruneworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/ArunEworld_ESPressif_ESP8266_ESP-14_Top_BlackBorad.jpg” alt=”” width=”128″ height=”186″ />
- In ESP-12E prototype design, interior adds STM8S003F3P6, and by STM8S ESP8266 AT commands to control the module is a complete STM8S micro-controller can operate via WIFI STM8 micro-controller programming.
- ESP-16 support WiFi and GPRS
Summary of All AI-Tinkers ESP8266 Module Boards
Comparison 1 :
|Variant||Dimensions||Antenna||Flash Memory||GPIO||Metal Shield Claim|
|ESP-01 Blue||14.3mm*24.8mm||PCB Antenna||0.5MB (500kb)||GPIO0/2/16||None|
|ESP-01 Black||14.3mm*24.8mm||PCB Antenna||1MB|
|ESP-06||14.2mm*14.7mm||GPIO0/2/12/13/14/15/16||Metal Shield Claims FCC|
|ESP-07||22mm*16mm||Ceramic Antenna & U-FL Connector||GPIO0/2/4/5/12/13/14/15/16||Metal Shield Claims FCC|
|ESP-08||17mm*16mm||None||GPIO0/2/12/13/14/15/16||Metal Shield Claims FCC|
|ESP-09||10mm*10mm||None||1MB Flash Memory||GPIO0/2/12/13/14/15|
|ESP-11||14.2mm*10mm||Ceramic Antenna||GPIO0/1||Metal Shield Claims FCC|
|ESP-12||24mm*16mm||PCB Antenna||ADC + GPIO0/2/4/5/12/13/14/15/16|
|DWA8||17mm*27.1mm||PCB Antenna||ADC + GPIO0/2/12/13/14/15/16|
Difference Between ESP-01 Blue Board and ESP-01S Black Board
- Memory Flash Size
- ESP-01 Blue Board – 500Kb
- ESP-01S Black Board – 1Mb
Difference Between ESP-07 and ESP-07S?
- PCB Layers
- ESP-07S – 4 Layers of PCB
- ESP-07 – 2 Layer of PCB
- Flash Memory
- ESP-07S – 4M
- ESP-07 – 1M
- IPEX Connector and Ceramic Antenna
- ESP-07S – Only have IPEX Connector and not have ceramic antenna
- ESP-07 – Have IPEX Connector and ceramic antenna
- ESP-07S -Have FCC, CE, ROSH Certification
- ESP-07 – 1M – Not have certification
- Note :
- ESP-07S is upgraded from ESP-07.
- Both are same pins
Difference Between ESP-12E and ESP12F ?
- Bit difficult to identify the ESP-12E and ESP12F. Because not mention in the shield. But Some modules Prints in back side. if not printed back side of the module, you can easily identify by antenna design. please refer the antenna design in the above ESP-12E and ESP-12F images.
- PCB Layers
- ESP-12F – 4 Layers of PCB
- ESP-12E – 2 Layer of PCB
- ESP-12F -Have FCC, CE, ROSH Certification
- ESP-12E – 1M – Not have certification
- ESP-12F is upgraded from ESP-12E.
- Both are same pins
See more reference websites
Bolt IoT (Pune-2016 Iot Award)
Olimex ESP8266 Module
- Olimex MOD-WIFI-ESP8266
- Olimex MOD-WIFI-ESP8266-DEV
- ESP8266 NodeMCU Dev has an Ai- thinkers ESP8266 module on it
- It comes with the latest version of AT Firmware already setup on it, together with all the drivers we are going to use
- Note: The D0, D1, D2, … numbers printed on the board are different from what ESP8266 Module uses – because originally those boards were made for a different pins determine.
- Make sure to refer to the image above to determine which pins are which On top it has a micro-USB socket, for connecting to the computer.
- Next to it are two buttons, one for reset and one for flashing.
- Then on both sides of the board are two rows of pins, to which we will be connecting cables.
- 3v3- this is a fancy way to write 3.3V, which is the voltage that the board runs on internally. You can think about this pin like the plus side of a battery. There are several pins like this, they are all connected inside.
- gnd- this is the ground. Think about it like the minus side of the battery. They are also all connected.
- gpioXX- “gpio” stands for “general purpose input output”. Those are the pins we will be using for sending and receiving signals to and from various devices that we will connect to them. They can act as output – pretty
much like a switch that you can connect to plus or to minus with your program. Or they can act as input, tellingyour program whether they are connected to plus or minus.
a0- this is the analog pin. It can measure the voltage that is applied to it, but it can only handle up to 1V.
vin- this pin is connected with the 5V from your computer. You can also use it to power your board with abattery when it’s not connected to the computer. The voltage applied here will be internally converted to the 3.3V that the board needs.
rst- this is a reset button (and a corresponding pin, to which you can connect external button).
flash- hold down this button while resetting to bring the board into programming mode (also known as flashing mode).
The other pins are used internally by the board, and we will not be connecting anything to them.
Adafruit Huzzah ESP8266 Module
- Adafruit Huzzah ESP8266 breakout
SparkFun ESP8266 Thing
- SparkFun ESP8266 Thing
KNEWRON Technologies smartWIF
- KNEWRON Technologies smartWIF (Google It)
WeMos (Working with Arduino and NodeMCU firmware)
- WeMos D1
- WeMos D1_min
- WeMos D1_r2
ESPert ESPresso Lite
Sweetpea ESP-210 Module
- Sweetpea ESP-210